The Columbarium: a San Francisco Treat |
At the end of a cul-de-sac in San Franciscos Richmond District is an almost hidden columbarium (a vault with niches for urns containing ashes of the dead). Built in 1897 for the Odd Fellows, it originally was surrounded by a 167 acre cemetery and crematorium. Changes in San Francisco law forced the removal of the cemetery and in 1934, the Columbarium was abandoned. In 1979 it was obtained by the Neptune Society and thankfully has been considerably restored. Read more about the Columbarium here.
Note, the Columbarium has a few vacancies, but reservations are required.
Click Image for Larger Version